Tips from swimmer Cassandra Eliasson on how to prepare for Ice Bath sessions. Cassandra have done many openwater competitions, even those in -14 degree Celsius where she 2021 swam 400 meters in the ice cold water - without wetsuit. (instagram @cassandraeliasson)
The mental preparation is at least as important as the practical ones. Get to know your body. When the cold water reaches your skin, you need to resist the escape behavior that comes. Your body will want to back off! But then being prepared and mentally strong means you can stick to your decision and not let it stop you. Become one with yourself.
- Swimwear (I usually wear it at home)
- Large towel or blanket
- Small towel or surface to stand on
- Neoprene gloves and socks
- Slippers or bathing shoes
- Comfortable and warm clothes (preferably wool)
- Socks (preferably wool)
- Warm and flexible shoes for afterwards
- Thermos with hot drink
- Ice spike and mobile phone
Something to consider:
- Do NOT shower the same day before your bath
- Warm up your body from the inside out before your cold bath
Lubricate yourself at home with "Arnicasalva" which helps you with a cold.